Did you know that Corned Beef and Cabbage recipes are the number one searched item on St. Patrick’s Day?
Don’t let last year’s Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner mishaps haunt you, because this year the luck of the Irish is on your side!
Corned Beef and Cabbage
5 lb. Vienna Corned Beef Brisket
2 gal. Water
1 gal. Beef Stock
1 ea. Cinnamon Stick
1 T Yellow Mustard Seed
1 tsp. Black Peppercorns (whole)
2 ea. Cloves
1 T Whole Allspice
3 ea. Juniper Berry
2 ea. Bay Leaves (fresh or dried)
1 ea. Spanish Onion (cut in half)
3 ea. Celery Stalks (cut in half)
2 ea. Large Carrots (cut in half)
3 ea. Whole Green Cabbage Heads (cut into quarters)
1 lb. Baby Carrots
1 lb. Small Red Skin Potatoes
- Place all spices in cheesecloth, tie into a bundle with a string
- In large, oversized pot: Add water, beef stock, brisket, spice bundle, Spanish onion, celery and the 2 cut up, large carrots
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 ½ hours
- Add the cabbage and cook an additional 30 minutes
- Add the red skin potatoes and cook an additional 45 minutes
- Add the baby carrots and cook an additional 15 minutes
- You will know it is done, when you can easily pierce the brisket with a meat fork and it is tender
And if cooking isn’t your style, head over to Lawry’s The Prime Rib at 100 E. Ontario St. in the historic McCormick Mansion. Lawry’s will offer a traditional Irish feast, accompanied in the evening by a strolling visit from The Shannon Rovers, on Saturday, March 17.
Lunch at Lawry’s Ale & Sandwich Bar includes Corned Beef and Cabbage, Horseradish Sauce, Boiled Potatoes, $17 plus tax and gratuity.
Lawry’s festive, annual St. Patrick’s Day dinner will feature the Spinning Bowl “Green” Salad, Corned Beef and Cabbage, Horseradish Sauce, Boiled Potatoes, $30 plus tax and gratuity; and as a special treat, The Shannon Rovers Irish Bagpipe Band will drop by to entertain evening dinner guests with the sights and sounds of Ireland. A cultural fixture in the Chicagoland area for over 75 years, The Shannon Rovers will enliven spirited gaels of all ages.
To make a reservation call Lawry’s at (312) 787-5000. For more information visit www.LawrysOnline.com.